What is digital scrapbooking? Digital Scrapbooking is simply creating a scrapbook layout on the computer. You use paper and elements that are created digitally using graphic design software.
Below are answers to some of the common questions I receive about digital scrapbooking.
What do I need to start creating digital scrapbook layouts?
The biggest investment would be the computer, printer (if you choose to print your layouts yourself) and the software (see next question). You can purchase digital scrapbooking kits, however, you can use a kit over and over again to create many layouts. With paper scrapbooking, once you use something, it is gone.
What software should I purchase?
There are many different programs available starting from $29 to over $500. If you are just starting out, I recommend you start with a dedicated scrapbooking program because the software will come with some digital kits to give you a head start. A few examples are:
There are several online options which usually include a few digital kits. Often these are to create photobooks or other printed items. A few examples are:
If you would like complete control over your layouts and prefer to either make your own elements or purchase digital scrapbooking kits from online stores, then the graphic design programs are what you want. The learning curve is the greatest on these, but will give you the most flexibility in creating your layouts.
What do I do with my layouts after I create them?
- Print at home in various sizes (8×8, 12×12, 8.5×10, etc) and put them into regular scrapbooks.
- Upload them to a professional printing company (Kodak, Shutterfly, etc) and create a photobook.
- Create slideshows and burn it to a CD or DVD.
- Upload them to photo sharing sites (Flickr, Picasa, Photobucket) to share with your friends and family.
What are the advantages of digital scrapbooking over paper scrapbooking?
- Digital scrapbooking is not as messy. It is very hard to scrapbook with little children around because they tend to get into your paper and scissors. You can easily save a layout before it is done and go back to it at a later date.
- The digital scrapbooking kits are purchased once and can be used again and again (by the same person).
- It is much easier to create a page for several people. I have 4 kids and every Christmas, I create one digital layout. Then I put different pictures into 4 different layouts. The layout for my oldest son will have pictures of him in them and I do the same for each of my kids. That way they each have a more personalized layout for their own book.
- A layout can be printed out or burned to CD/DVD as many times as you would like. It is a lot easier to share with your friends and family. I have created slideshows of my layouts throughout the year and sent the slideshow out as my Holiday card.
If you have any further questions, please leave them in the comments below and I will update this post with those answers. In the next few months, I will go into more detail about the different programs, where to get the digital scrapbooking kits and how to begin digital scrapbooking.
If you would like to see a few more examples of some layouts I have created and uploaded, check my layout gallery at NDISB.
Are you a scrapbooker? Paper or Digital?
Credits for scrapbook page: Techno Geek by MIss Mint (background), Fonts/Alphas: , Neutral Date Me kit by Suzy Q Scraps (5 in title & numbers), Fonts are Cooper Black, Chalkduster, CK Ali’s Hand Official, A Whole Year, January kit alpha by Dani Alencar (Geek & glitter), 5 crazy daisy flowers by Melissa Bennet