This is a TapInfluence sponsored post.
Note: Before I even begin to tell you how college helped my career as a blogger, I want to disclose that I did not graduate from WGU. I’m writing this from the perspective of a college graduate.
My son just started college a few weeks ago, so the subject of college has been on my mind a lot lately. I graduated from college almost 25 years ago and it was the best decision I made.
I always knew I’d go to college because I wanted a business career. I was going to be a high-powered business woman living in New York City. My life turned out a little different from that, but I know that degree helped me in ways I never imagined it would.
4 Ways College Helped My Career
1. Confidence. As we go through life, we gain confidence with each goal with set and meet. Finishing college was a huge one for me. It wasn’t easy and it took me 6 years (5 years of school with 2 semesters off to work and earn money.) I learned that even if it took my friends 4 years to finish and it took me 6 years to finish, it doesn’t matter. It’s the achievement that matters. That confidence helped me work hard to build a successful blog and community.
2. Love of Learning. College also gave me a love of learning. Once I realized that learning can be interesting if you are learning what you want to learn and not what others tell you to learn, I fell in love with learning. (I know there was a lot of learning in that sentence.) Still today, I have no fear of learning and I seek it out. I’ve never let my lack of knowing how to do something stop me from doing it. I learn how to do it.
3. Networking. College taught me how to network and ask for help. College isn’t always easy and there were many times I wasn’t sure how I was going to make it through a class. I learned that if I asked for help from fellow students or the teacher, I was more successful. This is a skill I use every day as a blogger.
4. My Degree. Yes, my business degree does help me when I’m running my business. Blogging is a business so it helps that took a lot of marketing and business classes.
A Little About Western Governors University
WGU is an online university started by 19 Governors (hence the name.) Going to college now is so different from when I went because of the opportunities that technology allows. You no longer have to sit in a classroom every day for many years to get your college degree.
You can do it on your schedule when you have time.
- For some, that may mean waiting until your youngest child is in school full time OR
- Late at night when your baby is asleep OR
- During your lunch break at work.
Allowing the flexibility in your studies gives you better control of balancing your life with your school work and family.
WGU Graduation Video
Watching this video brings tears to my eyes because I know that feeling of graduating. I LOVE that school is an option for more people now because of technology.
Waive the WGU Application Fee
WGU is offering my readers a special code to waive the $65 application fee. Head over to the WGU site and check out the areas of study they offer.
Let’s Talk About College!
If you have a degree, how has it helped you in life and/or in your current career? If you do not have a degree, do you have plans to get a degree? How do you see it helping you further your career? How would you fit an online education into your life?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Western Governors University. The opinions and text are all mine.