The first thing that stuck out for me was that the table comes with a dockable USB keyboard, so it’s a small laptop or a tablet. The keyboard also serves as a great way to protect the tablet when you are not using it. Depending on the situation, sometimes the keyboard was easier to use and sometimes it was easier to type on the screen, but I really love the option to do either.
Acer Iconia W500 Tablet Stats
First let’s get a few of the stats out of the way….
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50
- 2 GB DDR3 memory
- 32 GB solid state hard drive
- 10.1″ HD Multi-Touch LED-backlit TFT LCD (1280×800) Looks AWESOME!!
- Front & Back 1.3 MP webcams
- 2-in-1 card reader (MMC & SD)
- Dolby Advanced Audio
- Bluetooth, Wi-Fi & Ethernet
- HDMI, 4 USB 2.0 Ports
- Dockable Keyboard
- Lithium Polymere Batter – 6 hours
Portability Is A Plus
The Acer Iconia W500 tablet at 2.4 lbs is a heavier than other tablets I’ve tested, but it is still easy to carry with you anywhere. I carried it with me to a weekend vacation, dance lessons, carpooling, shopping and soccer games and it never got too heavy to carry. I tried it both with the keyboard dock and without.
I found that the Acer Iconia W500 tablet doesn’t compare to other tablets because with the Windows 7 and cloud computing, I have access all of my files and do more work on the Acer tablet than I do on my iPad.
Speed is Important
I never had a problem with the Iconia tablet feezing or slowing down. It was very responsive to both touch, typing and a stylus. I was concerned with only 2GB of SDRAM that I would run into problems, but I never did.
Has Everything A Family Needs
With 2 webcams, 4 USB ports, SD/MMC slots and HDMI, I was able to plug the Iconia tablet into anything I needed.
- I brought a small portable hard drive with me for a weekend trip and worked on fixing and uploading photos to Flickr.
- With the webcams, I was able to Skype with my family right from the pool.
- After a day of taking photos, I put my SD card right in the slot on the tablet and uploaded all of my photos and we watched them that evening on the tablet.
- One afternoon, I took a lot of video of my kids and I used the USB port to plug my video camera into the Iconia W500 tablet and uploaded the video. The kids and I even created a few funny videos right on the tablet.
- On a long drive, my son watched a movie he had downloaded from the internet and I heard no complaints about the picture or sound (and he usually watches movies on an HD 50″ screen.)
Tip: I purchased this JKase Ultra-Slim case for the Acer Iconia W500 tablet and it fits perfectly and the tablet is still very easy to use (without keyboard)
Disclosure: As an #AMDTechMom, I receive compensation in the form of product, money and sponsored trips. This post is written as part of my participation as an AMD Tech Mom. All opinions are 100% my own. Amazon Affiliate links within post.