This post is sponsored by Scholastic.
It’s Summer!!! In my house that means sleeping in, staying up late, mornings at the pool, afternoons reading and playing, grilling out, vacation and generally a more relaxed household. I believe summers are for fun and letting kids be kids, BUT, I want my kids to read during the summer. It’s the only learning activity I expect them to do.
Summer Reading Challenge Website and App
To sign your kids up for the challenge, go to the Summer Reading Challenge Reading Under the Stars page and click on Parents. Sign your kids up and be sure you write down their username and passwords because your kids will need them to log in and record their minutes.
The challenge started in May, but my kids started their summer vacation this week, so we started on June 16. We downloaded the Reading Timer App and have tracked their minutes read this week.
Reading Under The Stars Party
This year’s Summer Reading Challenge theme is “Reading Under the Stars” (powered by EVEREADY®). Kids can unlock star constellations ad they log in their reading minutes. We will be hosting a “Reading Under the Stars” party for my kids and their friends in a few weeks and I’ll update you next month about our adventure.
FACT: In 2013, Scholastic inspired more than 130,000 kids from 4,200 schools in all 50 States and 31 countries to set a new record for summer reading of 176 million-plus minutes!
Throughout the Summer, you can follow the Summer Reading Challenge weekly:
- Every Monday, check Scholastic on Twitter for the #MondayMinutes. See the total number of minutes kids have read to date!
- Every Friday, follow the Scholastic Facebook calendar for Friday Freebies!
- Every Friday, check out the Summer Reading Challenge Pinterest Board for a new collage of summer books.
- Tune in to Facebook on for the Summer Solstice Facebook Chat for Parents
Summer Reading Challenge on Social Media
- Like Scholastic Parents on Facebook
- Follow Scholastic on Twitter and Instagram
- Follow the Summer Reading Challenge Pinterest Board
- Like the Summer Reading Challenge YouTube Playlist
10 Tips For Getting Your Kids Reading This Summer
What do you do to keep your kids reading throughout the summer? Join me and my kids in the Summer Reading Challenge. Let me know in the comments below if you will be joining me and keep me updated on how many minutes your kids are reading.
Enjoy This Post? Pin It!
Disclosure: This #SummerReading post is sponsored by Scholastic. I received product and monetary compensation for this post. I’m sharing with you because I feel this is a very important topic. I love that Scholastic has created an app for kids to track their reading. My kids love seeing the minutes add up. All opinions are my own.