I love summer, and all that it has to offer! I look forward to it more than any other season. With each day, summer is quickly coming to an end. Wishing I could bottle it up and save it for those blah winter days, I’m reminded of why I love it so much.
1. The kids are out of school! I love not having to wake them up so early!
2. I love the adventures summer offer! Exploring things in our backyard, that we’ve never done, or seen before. There is so much in my own state, and summer provides the perfect opportunity.
3. Lighting bugs. You may call them fireflies, but “Down South,” we call them lighting bugs! I can stand outside for as long as they’re out, and just watch the show. Yes, occassionally I still catch a few.
4. Fried green tomatoes are as much summer to me as watermelon. My grandmother used to make them for me, and now, I make them with my baby girl.
5. Watermelon. Mmmm, just thinking about the taste and smell of watermelon makes my mouth water. Yes, you can get watermelon all year long. Somewhere, someone is growing them, but it’s not like an Arkansas watermelon! And you can only get an Arkansas watermelon in the summer.
Have you ever had a Hope watermelon?! Hope, Arkansas, you know the birth place of Bill Clinton.
6. Frogs & Crickets. Yes, frogs and crickets! No, I don’t catch them! My grandparents lived in the country, and at night I’d lay in bed with the windows up, and listen to them. That’s music to my ears. During the summer, after a rain, the frogs in a nearby bayou sing loud. Mr. Husband refuses to let me sleep with the windows up.
As I get older, I find myself being more grateful for the little things. Summer is one of those little things. Like every year before, I will pack up all of my “favorite things” in the storage of my mind, and wait impatiently for its return.