My daughter, Sami wrote a book report this week after reading the Soul Surfer book (affiliate link). Today she is at home for “Bring Your Kid to Work Day,” so we decided to post her book report on my blog.
Soul Surfer Book Review
The book “Soul Surfer” is an inspiring story of a girl who lost her arm in a shark attack and nearly died. Bethany Hamilton was only 13 when she was attacked.
The story starts off with Bethany and her mom, Cheri, getting up early to go find some heat (waves) to surf. They didn’t have much luck. When they were about to give up Bethany saw her best friend Alana and her dad, Holt, pulling up. Bethany decided to stay with Alana.
They were just relaxing on their boards in the middle of the ocean, Bethany’s left arm just chilling in the water. Then suddenly she saw a big grey blob approaching her. She managed to stay very calm, just looked away thinking nothing was going to happen.
Soul Surfer Shark Attack
Then as she heard that mouth open and coming for her, it bit her and her board. The water was bright red and as she screamed and screamed. She was rushed to immediate surgery; nothing was left but only 3-4 inches of her arm. She lost almost 50% of her blood.
After the surgery and when Bethany was allowed to have visitors. So many people had brought her flowers, balloons, stuffed animals, and such. Bethany had too many flowers that she made a garden in her hospital room. She kept picturing herself surfing again but thinking it might not happen ever again.
Almost a month later Bethany was up on her board training to surf again. Sooner or later, she was training for the 2005 NSSA National Championships! Boy did she make it far. After all of that hard work Bethany landed 1st place in the NSSA Championships.
Bethany Hamilton is now a pro surfer, and is ranked on top of all women in the world, she is also received the 2004 teen choice award for Courage and the 2004 ESPY award for Best Comeback Athlete, Bethany launched Friends of Bethany and is dedicated to making people believe anything is possible if you just try.
- Soul Surfer Bethany Hamilton has Dream Wedding (guardianlv.com)
- Soul Surfer Marries! (lifeofafemalebiblewarrior.wordpress.com)
- Bethany Hamilton’s Official Wedding Photo (people.com)
- Cody Simpson “Surfers Paradise” Album Release Video (disneydreaming.com)
- ‘Inspire Fridays’ – Bethany Hamilton (thegbgathering2013.wordpress.com)
Love Lifestyle Technology, Social Media, Fitness Gaming, Diet Coke, Running, PC & Mac Geek, Reading, Learning, Beach and anything with Bling!
Latest posts by Michele (see all)
- Get All Your Messages In One Place With Message Hub #Sponsored - October 21, 2014
- Gabby, An Interactive BFF Doll With ‘Tude for Tech Savvy Girls #Chatsters - October 21, 2014
- Jif To Go Dippers Are Perfect Snack for On The Go #MC #Sponsored - October 20, 2014