Is cereal a healthy breakfast choice? I’ll admit I never thought of cereal as being nutritious. I was happy to hear that General Mills, who is sending me weekly cereal packages for this post, has partnered with Dr. Keith Ayoob, a dietitian to help correct the misconception that cereal is not a nutritious breakfast. According to Dr. Ayoob cereal is one of the healthiest breakfast choices you can make.
General Mills wants to be sure parents know about the benefits of cereal.
- Cereal is lower in calories and higher in nutrition than many other breakfast options like bagels with cream cheese and pancakes.
- Cereal eaters consume less fat than non-cereal eaters.
- General Mills has more than 30 nutritious cereals with 130 calories or less per serving.
- Not all cereals are created equal and you must read the labels.
A study of D.C. parents showed that taste was the number one factor that parents look for when choosing a cereal for their children. It is important to find a cereal that is nutritious and tastes good in my opinion.
- The Big G line of cereals contain at least 8 grams of whole grain and are both a good source of calcium and vitamin D in every serving.
- Cereal is an inexpensive AND nutritious breakfast option.
- Bowl of cereal with milk is about 50 cents per serving.
Nutritious Cereal Video
Here is a video with Dr. Keith Ayoob talking about the health benefits of cereal.
Let’s Talk About The Benefits of Cereal!
What are your favorite cereals? Do you read the labels on cereal?
Disclosure: In exchange for my posts, I have received weekly cereal packages from General Mills through MyBlogSpark.