I am working very hard this year to eat healthier which means my family will eat healthier. We are a busy family and I need lots of easy healthy foods to keep in my kitchen. I wish I had the time to browse the local farmer’s market, but the reality is that I don’t have the time, which is where Hunt’s Tomatoes come to the rescue. Sponsored Post
I was excited when I learned that canned tomatoes offer a greater health benefit than the raw tomatoes according to an article published in the March/April 2011 American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine titled “Tomato Consumption and Health: Emerging Benefits.”
When I cook, I often do not use recipes. My Mom taught me if you are creative enough, you can take just about anything in your pantry, add some chicken and have a healthy home cooked meal. I dedicate this recipe to my Mom because she bought me my first crock pot and every time I cook with it, it reminds me of home cooked meals when I was a kid. I never realized how important a tool that crock pot would become. Without it, my family would never have a home cooked meal.
Hunt’s Tomatoes Crock Pot Chicken & Pasta
Here is my favorite, super easy Hunt’s Tomatoes Crock Pot Chicken and Pasta recipe that my family eats quite often. This is a sample of a typical thrown together meal from what is available in my kitchen.
- 3 frozen chicken breasts
- 1 can Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes (any flavor)
- 1 can Hunt’s Tomato Paste (any flavor)
- 1 can Hunt’s Tomato Sauce (any flavor)
- Italian Seasonings (whatever seasonings you have such as Oregano, Basil, Garlic, when in season, I use fresh)
- Your favorite whole wheat pasta
Directions: Put the can of Hunt’s Tomato Sauce on the bottom of the crock pot. Next add the 3 frozen chick breasts. Add the Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes and Hunt’s Tomato Paste. Season to taste. Turn the crock pot on low for at least 5 hours. After about 5 hours, I lift the lid of the crock pot and cut the chicken breasts up into pieces. It’s very tender and it shreds very easily. I use two forks to pull it apart. I let it simmer for another 30 – 60 minutes depending on how close to dinner.
Cook the whole wheat pasta (or I’ve even used rice when I was out of pasta). Serve the chicken over the pasta and add a little bit of parmesan cheese.
Tomatoes Are A Mom’s Best Friend
My kitchen is always filled with many varieties of Hunt’s canned tomatoes, pasta, chicken and basic seasonings. With those few ingredients I am able to come up with a huge variety of healthy recipes to serve my family. For more information about what is considered healthy, check the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Benefits of Canned Tomatoes
Here are a few of the benefits of eating canned tomatoes:
- Reduced risk of certain cancers, heart disease, osteoporosis, and other conditions.
- Low in calories, with nutrients like potassium, fiber and the antioxidant called lycopene (great for your heart.)
- People who eat tomato products have a 30% higher intake of fiber than those who don’t. One cup of tomato sauce offers approximately the same amount of fiber as one cup of whole wheat pasts.
- Canned tomatoes like Hunt’s have 7 times as much Lycopene as raw tomatoes. Keeping your pantry stocked with Hunt’s tomatoes gives your family the healthy benefit year round.
Hunt’s Tomatoes Benefits
And specifically, the benefits of choosing Hunt’s canned tomatoes:
- Each Hunt’s tomato goes through the FlashSteam™ process which ensures the tomato keeps its fresh taste.
- All Hunt’s tomatoes are grown in California.
- Hunt’s offers a wide variety of options for canned tomatoes including No Salt options.
- Each tomato goes from vine to can in a few hours.
- The FlashSteam™ process is an all-natural steaming process that peels the skin off the tomato naturally before canning (others use chemicals.)
- Hunt’s tomatoes are 100 percent natural and contain no artificial preservatives or ingredients.
I have always had Hunt’s Tomatoes in my pantry, but now I am convinced that Hunt’s tomatoes helps me feed my family a super easy home cooked healthy meal. The best part is that I now know that I am giving my family a healthy option that is available year round.
Disclosure: I am being compensated by The Motherhood in exchange for this post. However, I have been buying Hunt’s tomatoes before this post and I will continue.
Let’s Talk About Healthy Eating!
How do you serve your family a healthy meal? Do you include tomatoes in your diet year round?
- Vegetable Lasagna Roll-Ups with #HuntsHealth Tomatoes (3kidsandus.com)
- Hunt’s Tomato Heart Healthy Lasagna Recipe (classymommy.com)
Love Lifestyle Technology, Social Media, Fitness Gaming, Diet Coke, Running, PC & Mac Geek, Reading, Learning, Beach and anything with Bling!
Latest posts by Michele (see all)
- Dell XPS 13; A Day in My Life With the #XPS 13 - March 22, 2015
- Brain Chase; Online Summer Learning Adventure With Coupon Code #BrainChase - March 19, 2015
- Visual Goal Setting With Netflix and Vision Boards #StreamTeam - February 28, 2015