Last week I participated in the Unilever . The discussion was about Tweens and Communications with parenting expert Rosalind Wiseman, author of the New York Times bestseller Queen Bees and Wannabes. Sponsored by Unilever & Don’t Fret The Sweat.
Tweens and Communications Recap
The discussion was really interesting and everyone had awesome ideas on Tweens and Communication. Keeping the lines of communication open is something that is very important to me when dealing with my kids. Here are some of the tips for keeping those lines open:
Focus on listening. Often children confide in their parents to vent, not to get advice. Unless there is immediate physical danger, when your child tells you something, really listen. Many children are reluctant to share problems with their parents because they’re worried their parents will “freak out.”
Start with the small stuff. If you can talk to your kids at the start of puberty about growth spurts, body odor and deodorant, they will come to you later for bigger life moments and issues. Supporting research shows that confidence and self-esteem begins to decline as tweens transition to their teenage years (age 13-17), underscoring the importance of continual communication.
Thank them for sharing their problem with you. Reaching out to their parents is difficult for many kids, so it’s important to recognize this effort as you want to be a resource for your child in the future.
For the full recap and many more tips, see the Tweens and Communications Talk Summary at TheMotherhood. Be sure to check out the other three Tween Academy sessions:
One of the best ideas from the discussion was the Mind Jar. I had never heard of it before, but I’m going to make one for each of my kids with their favorite color.
Disclosure: I received the above bag and goodies from Unilever in exchange for my participation in the Tweens and Communications Discussion through TheMotherhood. All opinions are 100% my own.
- Tweens and Communication – The Motherhood (mommadjane.com)
- Tweens and Self Esteem-Come Chat w/Me TODAY! (frugalupstate.com)
- KidzVuz – Tweens Create Video Reviews on Their Own Online Community (connectwithyourteens.net)
- Join Me For Tweens And Communication Talk at TheMotherhood (scrapsofmygeeklife.com)
Love Lifestyle Technology, Social Media, Fitness Gaming, Diet Coke, Running, PC & Mac Geek, Reading, Learning, Beach and anything with Bling!
Latest posts by Michele (see all)
- 8 Tips for Taking the Perfect Selfie; Win GorillaPod Tripod #attSELFIE #Giveaway - October 23, 2014
- The Heli Beast Flying Predator Jumps, Flies and Walks #Giveaway - October 22, 2014
- The Beatrix Girls Dolls are a Pop-Star Band With Real Music #Giveaway - October 22, 2014